Monday, October 19, 2009

Australovenator and Megaraptor

This animal was announced over the summer, along with 2 large sauropods. Since it's the first good theropod remains from down under they named the beastie Autralovenator. I finally got around to drawing it, and a good thing I waited so long. Last week a new paper was published that finally (for now at least) sheds some light on a new group of theropods The Neovenatoridea. This appears to be a second group of allosaurs, the sister group of the Carchadontosaurs, and in this group is Australovenator and drum roll please.... Megaraptor.

So Megaraptor isn't a Spinosaur or a Carcharadontosaur but a really advanced allosaur. I'm still geeking about this!

More later, including a new giant Tyrannosaur.. oooohhhh!

Best,

Brett

3 comments:

  1. Great! finally, there is some concensus (or a scientific basis, or at least a robuts phylogenetic hypotesis) about how Megaraptor was...

    look... he is screaming... colour me, Brett!!!

    A minor critic... Australovenator was so slender? I imagined it more... robust...
    the rest, fantastic... as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the paper!

    Australovenator was not a heavy animal. I might have gone a bit too slender but not much;)

    Best,
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... Ok! my mistake!

    You're welcome (for the paper!)

    ReplyDelete